Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First days

I am in Polska. I still can't believe it. I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that I live here now. I'm not coming home in a few weeks; this is not a vacation. Homesickness is setting in and the only way I'm coping is by telling myself I'll be back before I know it. My attitude at present is a tad on the negative side and I know that this experience will be what I make of it. I can either embrace the fear and the change or wallow in unnecessary self-pity over a decision I have already decided upon. I think things will get easier once school starts and I get into the daily swing of things. After two weeks, I still can't get used to people driving way too fast in crappy cars on crappy roads (who needs seatbelts?!) the monotone voice-overs on import TV (90 % of it is import, mind you) and a phone I can't dial out on.
So far, I haven't had much time to get out and enjoy the culture. Stylisticly, things are pretty much the same. The clubs, pubs and lounges we have managed to hit so far have been way cooler than the ones I know back home. You can be on the dingiest of alleyways and you'll still find an awesome-looking bar. Booze and smokes are far cheaper than at home and it's been a while since I've felt the sting of cigarette smoke in my eyes.
My apartment has caused quite the headache since my arrival. Upon first inspection, I decided I hated it and will not, absolutely not, live there. After 4 days of tireless searching, phone calls and visiting apartments far worse than my original one, I decided that apartment number1 wasn't so bad after all (no climbing up 8 flights of stairs, down 5, through a garden and another alley to get to this place!). In order to make the place habitable, though, a trip to IKEA (pronounced E-K-A, here) and a fresh coat of paint were in order. The place looks pretty decent following the mini-reno and Mis should be helping me move in in the next day or so. It's close to the Rynek, but I still don't know how I will live without a dryer.
I have been taking tons of photos (although the ones here are from Mis' camera) and I will leave with a pictorial of my first days here for now:

Seems a little communist, no?

Cramming expensive cars into tight spaces is quite commonplace here


Think it's not possible to down a half litre and meet Dominika (10 min walk away) in 25 minutes? Think again.

A well-deserved Zapekanka from Endziora after a long night in Kazimeriz, Krakow's answer to Paris' Monmarte (or so I eavsdrop from the burak waiting in line behind me)

I like Orange.

The good old car and tram ram.

Difficult decisions.
Look of disgust on Mis' face. I had nowhere else to put my leg on the car ride home from Ikea in Dodo's Ford Puma. Let's just say we were all uncomfortable.
The view from Dominika's house.

5 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kasiu!
thank god for blogging huh? i am so happy that your apartment is now ok, and that you are only a "tad" on the negative side. i can't wait to hear more and respond to my email dammit!

miss you!!!!

xo

 
At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kas
you are such a friggen princess!! i coud so picture you saying "tskah, no.. absolutely not. i refuse so live here" - all huffy and puffy. you are so funny.
i'm glad to hear you are ok. i was getting worried and i kept thinking about you worrying so much that you are in my dreams like looking for apartments and stuff. it was weird. so thanks. hopefully weird like that will stop now.
how is everything? how are the parties and how are the boys? - you know what just happened here? i was going to add in another question before that one, something like "how are the sights" or at least "how is the music" to make myself seem like i have a small amount of depth to my being, but that is so not the case. i'm tired. life has been crazy lately. and i haven't seen anyone since you left. i don't know what's going to be left of me when you get back. you better bring back some amazing stories or just plain amazingness, like enough for the both of us, and then maybe some more to spare.
say hi to both of your cousin-folk there. take care of yourself princess-prissy-pants.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kAsH mOnEy

I'm not sure what to write. Monika's straight to the point and Alex is...I don't know what Alex is writing about. It's like a rap and... I don't know I lost it.

I'm happy to know that you are somewhat happy and that you live next to a bunch of pigs and chickens. Does that mean that when you return you'll smell like farm girl for a while?

Miss you. JoFaceKilla.

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya man. i so did not make a shred of sense there. oh well. i hope you're having a better time now! when's school? miss you.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger kasia said...

JOJO bear - I already smell like a farm girl and alex, you always make sense to me! I'll post as soon as I get back to the CRAC-OW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home