Monday, April 11, 2005

Romance is dead

Ok, so I'm delusional. I actually liked (note the past tense) the Bachelor. I thought it was fresh and invigorating. At least compared to other dating shows like Blind Date and the 5th Wheel, that ever-so-original spin on America's favourite pastime - dating on a bus. Wait, wait - hold back the bile, let me explain.
The Bachelor was an escape. Imagine a land of hottubs, champange and strawberries and an endless array of studs professing their love to you in little handwritten haiku poems. Fantasy world indeed. I watched the last Bachelorette religiously. My love for the show came to a screeching, burning rubber-kinda halt when Jen Schefft officially burst my bubble effectively destroying my monday night ritual.
I, by that time, had developed what you could call a slight - note slight - obsession with Jerry whats-his-name. When she dumped him, I was angry. Not angry because I genuinely cared, but angry cause I didn't get my way. I mean what is UP? She's looking for a SERIOUS boyfriend? But that's not part of the show. I never get mad when the couples who hook up on the show break up later on. That's fine. I don't care what you do after the show as long as I get my fairy-tale ending. Let me have my hour of romance. Please.
For one, real romance is never like that, but girls, being the silly creatures we are, like to delude ourselves into believing it is. Even me. I hate reality t.v. I don't even really watch t.v. Last I heard, Lindsay Lohan had a singing career. And second, it complemented my own steamy love-life. Right. Like who has time for boys anyway? But as a single girl, I was completely content supplementing my dose of romance with a dash of voyuerism.
That aside, I gave up watching the Bachelor after that last disappointment. But my nagging curiosity got me. I caved in. I was able to steal the t.v. for one hour tonight and had my pick between Miss USA or the Bachelor. Of course it was a gut-wrenching choice. Opting for the latter, I was even more sickened by the state of the sleaze on that show. Like omigod, is this your door? Yes. Like let's hang out. Not only are the girls extra dumb this season, the guy's a friggin monster. He speaks some weird broken English in a deep, droning monotone voice. Plus, he's Jerry O'Connell's brother. I guess that kind of celebrity status garners you your own show these days.
But nothelessless the show sucks. I probably would have been better off watching Miss USA. Then I could have worked up the old diatribe about women and objectification. Perhaps I've become even more cynical, although I really can't imagine that being possible. Or perhaps the show always sucked and I'm just starting to realize it. Either way, romance is dead in my books. At least it is on prime time t.v.

10 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger kasia said...

duh. i just spent a whole blog stating that.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger kasia said...

duh. i just spent a whole blog stating that.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger kasia said...

twice.

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy, as much as I hate Charlie, I commend him. Unlike the other bachelors, and even bachelorettes,(stupid slut Jen)he is not hiding the fact that he's a pig.The bachelor show isn't about finding your soulmate anymore - it's about finding the best piece of ass you can out of a bunch of naggy, superficial and fake-breasted hangers-on. He is a 'KunstleBachelor,' yep - Charlie epitomizes a coming of age for all horny men out there. And his message is: Guys, f*%$ the whole marriage and kids thing, it's all about FUN, yes, even at 30! It's sad, but who can deny that this revamping of the show is a reflection of our times? Jen led the pack, and if a woman can do it - then a man will definately do it - and NOT hide it.."She's a piece of ass," Charlie said one episode...(grrrrrrr) Anyway, shame on you, Kathy, for dedicating ur Monday nights to "escapism" day. You should have known that a show like that is a blatant exploitation of women (ie. bikin-clad women in hottubs, bikini-clad women lounging around the pool, and bikini-clad Kim in the kitchen!) Oh, Offred, the Bachelor is not the Utopia you described to be, and I'm glad you noticed that. Because a dark cloud hangs over that show; a dark cloud that will one day burst open...chaos and social destruction for all..Meaning: All relationships are doomed for failure..............But just on the Bachelor!
Did that make sense??
ps: Youre fairytale will come true one day, I promise. Just because E.E.W isn't in love with you right now, it doesn't mean he'll feel like that forever..hahah just teasing.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger kasia said...

e.e. does love me!!

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boys: stay tuned to http://www.monikasplace.blogspot.com for a list of ways on how guys (who lack in the romance-enhancing department) can revamp the romance in 2005...
disclaimer: this list was prolly written by some fool who was dumped by some chick and figured that by saying that he'd do all these things he'd get her back or something...i dunno. some of them are pretty basic...but then again guys need things spelt out to them in a simplistic manner right?
either way it'll be up in a bit...y'all can check it out. payce.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

right...and you keep coming back here why? oh yes..b/c you along with everyone else enjoy this site. denial is not healthy, and neither is lying. you love it. admit it.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger kasia said...

it happened once. no one said it would happen again. and I don't censor stuff like you would in your facist world.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh the throwing around of the 'facist' title begins. this blog is getting pretty steamy... like the bachelor! (check out that tie in)
hey... i nominate kasia as the next bachelorette. lets hook her up with some mens on this blog... i mean besides past flames cause its time to find kasia some new hot ass... we're taking a turn for the better/worse just like the show. there'll be hot ass everywhere! we're getting kasia laid in 2005! (i swear i'm not working for joanna and expecting a cut of that money)
i love you. kasia the bachelorette rules. i love that show. she should pick that hot ass guy and have hot ass sex with him. forget the romance kasia. it's dead until you have sex with every hot ass guy that you see. it just doesn't happen. you have to do them all. only THEN can the romance of a lifetime happen. trust me... it's like a chemical reaction type thing...

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger kasia said...

looks like alex finished school and lost her mind, all this bachelor talk. love you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home